I just stumbled across this article from NYT about the Expert Performance movement. I'm really intrigued and (honestly) relieved! I have struggled against the idea of the "genius" in art making for such a long time, loudly proclaiming that I don't believe in such a thing. And there is an element of truth to that statement, I do not believe in genius per se, but there's always that corner of my heart nagging at me. Am I really any good at this? Why do I struggle to do this? If I just create "crafts" and don't push myself further, that will at least burn the creativity bug a little, right? Then I don't have to expose myself through my art making. Fear is such a dangerous thing. It's this constant niggling little voice shaking and threatening my confidence. So, what a relief to read that science is proving that it is not an inborn genius or talent that makes an expert but good old PRACTICE! And what a kick the butt to make me really commit to making my artwork. It's too easy to hide behind busyness or dh's schedule. This is important: for me if for no one else!
Thanks to Chris for posting this on her blog!
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment